Celebrating Halloween

Halloween night at number 1 Hospital Road, Nassarawa, Kano! Hmm...! I taught it has always been Halloween here. At ATM galleries,market, hospital even schools,yes, the other day at AKTH to see a top Chief Medical Doctor there, I saw a student lab scientist receiving lectures in a dark scary ninja-like veil and wonder is this is not Halloween already (sic).

Now, as I'm sure you're also aware, I have no truck with anything of a superstitious or magical nature, I don't believe in fairy tales- infact I hate horror movies!when movies are solely for relaxation (what's relaxing in zombies eating men!)

Yes, the universe is stunning, awe-inspiring, breathtaking, and, at times, just plain weird, strange, and fucking bizarre, but it runs along rational lines and, by definition, always obeys its own rules.

So it's no real surprise that many years ago my friends were impressed but dubious about my apparent lack of fear of graveyards and other spooky places in general, and on Halloween in particular, suggested, despite my bravado, I'd be scared to go into the local graveyard alone. Perhaps I should add: this was on Halloween itself, probably around 9pm, (I once lived opposite a massive graveyard and even had my Alma mater sharing ambience with a graveyard, so why should a piece of land for those that left early before us scare me).

And that's why I found myself alone in the graveyard of Ahmadiyya Line on dark Halloween night, perched on a sarcophagus and getting a numb bum, and wondering how long I had to stay there getting bored before I could wander back out onto the road without seeming to be chicken. That's when it struck me: I was in the safest place on Earth at that moment.

Halloween is not for Christians! Muslims too (please allow my naivety!). Rather it is Allhalloween: All Hallows' Eve, or All Saints' Eve!

So I don't celebrate witch-craft! Nor foolishly imaging the witches will be flying around on their broomsticks cackling and casting spells, and generally engaging in whatever dastardly deeds witches like to engage in of an evening.

I rather choose to say...
 "Our Father, who art in heaven..
Halloween (sic) be the name!




Comments

Popular Posts