Happy Father Day


Last weekend, in many countries around the world, people celebrated dads, grandpas, and father figures. I am my father's son. We were born in the same month. I love my father. Hmm....there were times in my teen days that if I had said this I know I am lying. As a toddler and the first child I was my father's favorite son. He will go out of his way to please me. My room was littered with toys( some of which I destroyed).I had goodies,yes any one you can think of. My father sang for me(He plays the harmonica very well). When I became a teenager my father was lost. Lost as in not dead( he is still alive and strong),but not the man I knew. He scolds me at every thing. His hands were quick to do the macabre on my cheek. I know we were all smacked by the African daddy,but boy! mine came with stars and glare that blinded my eyes. He once accused me of smoking pot because I came home late. He refuse to understand his boy want to feel grown up. How did he became like this?Or did a demon possess him? My teenage mind won't understand. Should I forgive him now?No! There was nothing to forgive him for. That was his way of raising a man. He did his best because I now know better.(If you have never raise a kid you won't understand). It is our father that brought us to the world. And for this reason we are forever indebted to him. Yes I know you think mine was not tough as yours. See!I know what it means to have an irresponsible father who gave his kids bitter childhood(I had friend whose father was so,everyone in my community then know him very well) and I even know the father that ran away. You are right when you said he hurt you. It is easy not to forgive him. It is very easy to be angry with him forever. But have you ever stop to ask why they behave the way they were to you? He must have had pretty tough growing up too. And this made him believe his ways are the best to raise you.(Look I am not justifying his action). You see I understand being the father is one tough job (whose manual is still being searched for).I advise you to become better than they were to you. Be the always visiting child,calling them always. Yes they have made mistakes but is that not what we all do. It is the time for you not to repeat your own mistakes. It is our responsibility to love him,care for him and respect him. If yours is no more then care for his memories. Probably yours never gave you bad time(wow! you are damn fortunate to have this special daddy). Above all let's love our fathers more while we still have them so we will not wish to dance with them after they have gone like Luther Vandross(LOL). Happy Fathers Day to the best Daddies I have: Femi Allen,you gave me life. Pst. Chris ,you teach me God's word. And all my other daddies which space won't allow me mention their names,your words make me daily!

Comments

Popular Posts